Welcome to Ballymena RFC @ Eaton Park – Est 1887

On Saturday, Ballymena RFC managed to secure victory from the jaws of Defeat, leaving them 5 points clear all the relegation playoff places.

Greystones dominated the opening period of possession and were rewarded with a converted try in the first 10 minutes to take a 7-0 lead.

Ballymena responded quickly with a try of their own when Mikey Orr sent a long pass to Rhsy Ervine who went over for a try.

Greystones continued to dominate the opening quarter of the game Connor Smy
th was awarded a harsh yellow card for what was deemed to be a late tackle. Greystones converted the resulting penalty for a 10-5 lead.

The visitors continued their domination, when following a line out a break being made, resulted in an  easy score to extend their lead to 15-5.

Just before half time Greystones had a scrum 5m out from the Ballymena line to go over for another score, for a 20-5 half time lead.

The home side struck first in the second half, a slick backs move from a lineout on the Greystones ten metre line allowed Ballymena to gain territory in the Greystones half. Pierce Crowe found Curtis Henry in space with a long pass to put him in for a try, to bring the scores to 20-10 to Greystones. The visitors added another penalty to increase their lead to 13 points.

With 10 minutes to go Ballymena looked to be out of sight in the game. Having had little possession in the game and being 5m out from their line, another comeback victory looked to be unilkely.

Adam Lamont made a break from his own 22, got tackled and with the tackle not completed, picked the ball up again and charged into the Greystones half. A few phases later Pierce Crowe found Mikey Orr in space to give the home side a chance getting back into the game. Mikey Orr’s try coverted by Crowe brought the defecit to 23-17.

From the restart, Ballymena kicked to Greystones who tried to hold on to possession. Adam Lamont made a thunderous hit and James Howe followed up with a crucial turnover. Ballymena kicked the penalty to touch and after a series of phases, a scrum was awarded to Ballymena under the posts. Lamont picked from the resulting scrum and following some patient rugby, Cillian Butler made his way over the line for a try with a minute to go.

Pierce Crowe, with a difficult angle, converted calmly to put Ballymena in the lead for the first time all afternoon at 24-23.

The referee’s whistle sounded, much to the relief of all involved at Ballymena RFC, leaving Ballymena 5 points ahead of Greystones in the 9th placed playoff.

Next week, Ballymena travel to Navan in a bid to secure their Division 2A status for next season.